In general, marine litter is distributed by currents along the coastline and across the region. After being environmental problem, special care was given to marine litter case in Turkey. Institutionally we paid more attention to marine litter problem in the BS coast of Turkey.
In September 2004, first marine litter research was started together with KTU, local governments and NGOs (Association of Environmental Cultural Entrepreneurs, Society for the Protection of Natural and Historical Values ) by the grant of UNDP-GEF.
In September 2015, KTU was carried out a survey on marine biodiversity and marine litter in the Eastern Turkish Black Sea coast.
The results of these projects are quite stunning as to show the dimensions of the marine litters and their accumulations around major polluted deltas, fishing ports and small shelters.
After the implementation of this project we expect to:
- clarify rate of solid waste discharges from rivers,
- identify degree of the pressures from different sources (i.e. rivers, fisheries and fish farms, tourism, shipping, industry),
- raise awareness of the public and decision makers by using visual and audio-visual materials, web based sources, mass/social media campaigns and interviews, meetings, symposium and questionnaires,
- convince housewives to separate litters (paper, glass, plastics, tin as initials) at home for further collection and recycling processes,
- teach benefits of organic wastes to use them as fertilizer in their small gardens,
- coordinate municipalities to start separated litter collection and transfer to recycling plants,
- improve new generations responsible for saving their environment and future.
Expected results from the planned activities will be useful to improve welfare of the BS citizens and sustainable ecosystem for the living resources across basin through joint reduction of marine litter in coordination to implement common actions by transforming fragile environment to good state.